Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Fair Housing Act Turns 37

This month is the 37th anniversary of the Fair Housing Act, otherwise known as la Ley de Equidad de Vivienda.

The Fair Housing Act is supposed to prevent things like this from happening.

Each April HUD celebrates Fair Housing Month, and in my little corner of north central Florida, local agencies are colaborating and celebrating as well by assisting in the completion of Celebration Oaks, a residential neighborhood of 60 Habitat for Humanity homes in Gainesville. In my capacity of county urban forester I review development plans, and I am presently looking at plans for a childrens’ playground for that very neighborhood.

In my formal review comments of the project, I’ll have the pleasure of urging the builders to plant some shade trees "for the kids".

No comments: