Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Field of Illusions

Driving by the llama field at mid-day I spotted the head and neck silhouettes of several llamas laying in the tall grass in the dark shade beneath the scattered oak trees. It was very easy to imagine they were elk bedded down for the day along the Firehole River in Yellowstone Nat’l Park.

I’ve had the West on my mind today, since this day the Clog-wife will purchase airline tickets for the trip to Idaho in July. The Call clan will meet in the mountains just west of Jackson, Wyoming for the big family reunion that occurs once every three years.

Next, I’ll be imagining cutthroat trout rising in the alligator swamps.

By the by, I've taken pan-sized trout on a fly from the Firehole near the thermal area, and have picked and eaten handfulls of wild strawberries there as well. Here are 2 hooks I mean links for the fisherfolk:

Fishing the Firehole, with *Engrish* commentary.
Firehole River fishing guide for the serious fisherfolk.

No comments: