Saturday, June 04, 2005

Melon and Blueberry Daydreams

The usual Saturday morning in Evinston: See the Clog-wife off to her dance classes, get somewhat dressed, put on my Moon Pie ball cap, and hie to the Wood and Swink store/post office to pick up the mails, buy fresh produce, and listen to a little gossip and local news.

Freddy Wood tells me the old white house across from the store will be sold at some point, the owner having recently bought the newer brick house next door. Perhaps this is our chance to buy a place in this lovely hamlet. I'm day-dreaming that the owner would work out a by-owner deal that would let us buy the house.

Fresh produce of the day, all grown in Evinston, and purchased for $10.75: A watermelon, a canteloupe, 2 pints of blueberries, 2 bell peppers, 4 cubanelle peppers, and 2 onions. I passed for now on cucumbers, okra, acorn and hubbard squashes, yellow summer squash, sweetcorn, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.

On second thought I'd better run back and buy some corn and a squash. Besides, I want to return the blueberry trays so Geena can reuse/refill them. Two pints won't last very long if I'm around.

No comments: